James Bradford Tirrell (1852-1938)
Sarah Jane Blanchard (1855-1935)
MARY MARIA9 TIRRELL (James8-7Cornelius6, Benjamin5-4, Gideon3-2, William1) was born at Weymouth, Massachusetts, on 28 May 1880 (VR Wey(H) Births, 1861-1910:3:2:75). She was a daughter of James Bradford Tirrell and his wife Sarah Jane Blanchard. Mary Graduated from Weymouth High School, and then studied at a two-year Normal School. She then taught first grade for two years before she was married.
RITCHIE TOTMAN HOWE was born at Weymouth on 24 November 1880 (DMH–T), the son of William Abbott and Carrie K. (Whitton) Howe. Ritchie graduated from Thayer Academy in Braintree, then worked as a butcher. He inherited his uncle's meat cart and went from house to house selling meat.
Mary Maria Tirrell and Ritchie Howe were married at her family home in South Weymouth on 28 May 1904 (DMH–T). They made their home at 48 Tower Avenue, South Weymouth. They were both members of South Parish Congregational Church (United Church of Christ), Weymouth. Ritchie was elected a Town Meeting Member. He enjoyed baseball and hockey and had season tickets. Mary Maria enjoyed the Boston Symphony.
Ritchie Howe was bedridden for about a year before he died. He died at Abington, Massachusetts, on 14 April 1949 (DMH–T). Mary lived for several of her later years at Pleasant Acres Rest Home, North Abington, Massachusetts. She died at Mildred Alford Nursing Home, North Abington, on 7 July 1968.
Ritchie and Mary howe had the following children:
- NORMAN TIRRELL10 HOWE
- b. at Weymouth on 6 August 1907 (in a house on Pleasant Street, South Weymouth)
- Graduation. in 1926 from Weymouth High School
- Graduation. about 1928 at Boston (a two-year program at Bryant and Stratton Business College)
- Occupation. from 1928 to 1932 at Royal Typewriter in Hartford, CT, and as an accountant for a garage in Providence, RI.
- Occupation. from 1932 to 1938 grocer
- In 1932 Norman's father bought a grocery business for his two sons. Howe Brothers' Grocery specialized in delivering groceries. The
partnership of two brothers did not work well. About 1936 brother Winston sold his interest in the business to Norman. In 1938 Norman sold out.
- Religion. from 1932 to 1983 Congregational (United Church of Christ)
- member of First Congregational Church, Abington, where he was a deacon. In 1971 he transferred his membership to Pilgrim Congregational Church, Harwichport, MA
- Norman joined the Masons in 1933, and in later years was a Master, and received the highest reward for service. He was also a volunteer fireman. Norman was active in starting Rainbow in Abington in 1948, and DeMolay in 1951.
- Residence. at 411 Walnut St., Abington, from September 1934 to 1983
- Occupation. from 1938 to 1950 fireman (Capt. of Fire Dept.) for B. F. Sturtevant Company (later it became Westinghouse)
- Occupation. from 1950 to 1961 shipyard worker, Fore River Shipyard (later Bethlehem Steel).
- Occupation. from 1961 to 1977 Superintendent of Parks Abington
- Residence. after 1971 (summers) Harwichport
- d. at Brockton, MA, on 1 March 1983
- Burial. Mount Vernon Cemetery, Abington
- m at Abington on 8 October 1932 RUTH ELIZABETH LEES (in the Congregational Parsonage)
- b at Brockton on 16 October 1910
- Child of David Lees and Nettie Gay
- Graduation. 1927 from Abington High School
- Degree. 1931 College, Bridgewater State Teachers College, Bridgewater, MA
- Occupation. from 1931 to 1941 substitute teacher
- Occupation. from 1941 to 1945 teacher
- Occupation. from 1945 to 1957 substitute teacher
- Occupation. from 1957 to January 1978 teacher, Whitman-Hanson High School, Hanson, MA (full time teacher of Latin and assorted other courses)
- Religion. after 1932 United Church of Christ, member, First Congregational Church, Abington. In 1971 she transferred her membership to Pilgrim Congregational Church, Harwichport.
- d. on 22 January 1998 (SSDI)
- 3 children; 9 grandchildren
- WINSTON ABBOTT10 HOWE
- b. at Weymouth on 31 May 1909 (SSDI; DMH-T)
- d. on 25 July 2001, res. Kingston, MA (SSDI)
- m. at Weymouth on 10 June 1933 HELEN LANG (DMH-T)
- b. on 27 July 1911 (DMH-T; SSDI)
- d. on 28 December 2003, res. Kingston, MA (SSDI)
Some information on this family is found in:
Tirrell, Robert Wilson. The Tirrell-Tirrill-Terrill-Tyrrell Book: Descendants of William Therrill. Englewood, NJ, 1969. p. 408.
Some information on this family comes from the notes of Bertha Tirrell Maxfield, which are contained, with other material, in:
Hartshorn, Doris Maxfield. Genealogy of the James Bradford Tirrell Family. (Ditto duplication, distributed in the family).
Other information has been provided, through interviews and correspondence with Ruth Howe
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to References
Go to Name List Index
© 2004 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield