Some of the Descendants of
of Marshfield, Plymouth Colony
CALVIN8 THOMAS Jr. (Calvin7, Nathaniel6, Edward5, Isaac4, Nathaniel3-2, William1), was born at Freetown, Massachusetts, on 1 February 1825 (E Free Cem). His parents were Captain Calvin Thomas, Sr., and his wife Lois Maria Washburn. At Freetown on 4 June 1848, Calvin Thomas, Jr., age 23, HOPE ANN RICHARDSON, age 16, were married (VR Freet). Hope Ann Richardson was born at Freetown on 28 January 1830 (VR Freet), a child of William B. Richardson and his wife Elizabeth Clark.
The 1850 Census of Bristol County, Massachusetts, reported the family of Calvin Thomas, Jr., right next to the family of Calvin Thomas, Sr., as follows (Census 1850 Ma, 156):
||Value of Property
|Calvin Thomas, Jr.
In Calvin Thomas' military record he was called a carpenter. Calvin Thomas of Freetown, carpenter, age 32, enlisted in the Army on 6 September 1862. He was musttered in 10 September 1862 and mustered out on 1 September 1863. He served in the 47th Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteers Infantry, Company D, which was based in New Orleans (MSSMCW 4:404). Calvin Thomas died within three months of his discharge, at Freetown on 28 November 1863 (VR Freet) (E Free Cem) (Deaths in the New Bedford Mercury, 1845-1874). His death record identified him as 38 years old, married, son of Calvin (born Pembroke) and Lois Marie (born Middleboro) Thomas. He was buried in East Freetown Cemetery (E Free Cem).
Hope Ann (Richardson) Thomas married a second time, some time between 1863 and 1870, to NEWELL R. RAYMOND. Hope Ann (Richardson) (Thomas) Raymond died on 15 December 1912 (DMH–M).
Calvin Thomas and his wife Hope Ann Richardson had the following children:
Hope Ann (Richardson) (Thomas) Raymond and her second husband Newell R. Raymond had the following child:
- ELLEN MARIA9 THOMAS b. at Freetown on 27 April 1849
- FRANK IRVING9 THOMAS
- b. at Freetown on 7 August 1851 (VR Freet)
- ANNIE NEWELL RAYMOND
- b. on 27 December 1870 (based on age at death) (DMH–M)
- d. on 1 August 1915 (DMH–M)
- m. in 1898 WILLIAM E. ALTON (DMH–M)
- b. in 1868 (DMH–M)
- d. in 1947 (DMH–M)
References abbreviated above include:
- Census Records
- Hartshorn, Doris Maxfield. Genealogy of Charles Pope Maxfield Family. Ditto Reproduction, abt 1970
- E Free Cem
- Grave Marker. East Freetown Cemetery, Freetown, Ma.
- Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War. Norwood, Mass.: Norwood Press, 1932.
- VR Freet
- Thomas, Helen Gurney, ed. Vital Records of the Town of Freetown, Massachusetts, 1686 Through 1890. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1988. (Note: No page numbers).
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield