Some of the Descendants of
of Marshfield, Plymouth Colony
Captain CALVIN7 THOMAS Senior (Nathaniel6, Edward5, Isaac4, Nathaniel3-2, William1) was born at Pembroke, Massachusetts, on 16 September 1791 (VR Pem 201)(E Free Cem), a son of Nathaniel Thomas and his wife Betty House.
Calvin Thomas and LOIS MARIA7 WASHBURN (Salmon6, Jonathan5, Benjamin4, Samuel3, John2-1) were married at Freetown, Massachusetts, on 10 October 1822 (VR Freet), by Elder John Lawrence. Lois Maria Washburn was born at Middleboro, Massachusetts, on 15 July 1797 (VR Freet--based on age at death), a daughter of Salmon Washburn and his wife Ruth White. Calvin and Lois Maria Thomas lived and farmed in Freetown all their adult lives.
The 1850 Census reported this Thomas family in Freetown, Bristol County, as follows (Census 1850 Ma, 156):
||Value of Property
Calvin Thomas died at Freetown on 10 August 1864 (E Free Cem) (Deaths in the New Bedford Mercury, 1845-1874), aged 72 years, 10 months, and 24 days. He was buried in East Freetown Cemetery (E Free Cem). Lois Maria (Washburn) Thomas died at Freetown on 8 August 1866 (Ma Deaths 1866:192:94:16) (E Free Cem), age 69 years and 24 days. Her death record indicated that she died from fever, that she was a widow, and that she and her parents, Salmon and Ruth Washburn, were all born in Middleboro. She was buried in East Freetown Cemetery. The inscription on her stone reads, "A dearly beloved mother has left us. Rest precious one" (E Free Cem).
Calvin and Lois Maria Thomas had the following children:
- JANE8 THOMAS
- b. about 1823 (based on age at death)
- d. at Freetown on 9 November 1856 (aged 33 years) (VR Freet) (E Free Cem)
- bur. East Freetown Cemetery, Freetown (E Free Cem)
- m. at Freetown in 1 January 1843 NOAH EDMINSTER (VR Freet)
- b. on 24 July 1805 (based on age at death)
- Child of Lemuel and Chloe Edminster
- d. at Freetown on 18 December 1845 (In his 41st yr–E Free Cem; age 40-4-25; son of Lemuel and Chloe–VR Freet) (VR Freet) (E Free Cem)
- bur. East Freetown Cemetery, Freetown (flag indicates a veteran) (E Free Cem)
- CALVIN8 THOMAS Jr. b. at Freetown on 1 February 1825
- FRANCES8 THOMAS
- b. about 1829 (Census 1850 Ma, 156)
- d. aft 1850
- CORNELIUS8 THOMAS
- b. about September 1832 (based on age at death)
- d. on 31 May 1833 (age 8 months) (E Free Cem)
- bur. East Freetown Cemetery, Freetown
- Inscription: And Jesus called a little child unto him. (E Free Cem)
- CHARLES H.8 THOMAS
- b. in July 1834 (E Free Cem)
- d. in August 1905 (E Free Cem)
- m. (int. at Freetown on 25 January 1859) MARY E. H. HARPER of New Bedford (VR Freet)
- b. in September 1833 (E Free Cem)
- d. in June 1895 (E Free Cem)
Information on this family can be found in the following:
Other references abbreviated above include:
- Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980. p. 260.
- Census records
- E Free Cem
- Grave Marker. East Freetown Cemetery, Freetown, MA
- Ma Deaths
- Death Records Archives Division/Vital Records, Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth, Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- VR Freet
- Thomas, Helen Gurney, ed. Vital Records of the Town of Freetown, Massachusetts, 1686 Through 1890. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1988. (Note: No page numbers).
- VR Pem
- Vital Records of Pembroke, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1911.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield