Some of the Descendants of
of Marshfield, Plymouth Colony
Much of the information on this website concerning the Thomas Family can be found in the following source, which traces all descendants of William Thomas. It can be found in many genealogical libraries or borrowed through Inter-Library Loan:
Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980.
NATHANIEL6 THOMAS (Edward5, Isaac4, Nathaniel3-2, William1) was born at Pembroke, Massachusetts, on 16 September 1750 (VR Pem 203), a son of Capt. Edward Thomas and his wife Rachel Cushing.
At Abington, Massachusetts, on 20 February 1774 (VR Pem 361; VR Ab 2:109), Nathaniel Thomas married BETTY HOUSE of Abington. She was born about March 1755 (according to her age at death on her grave marker).
Nathaniel Thomas fought in the Revolution on several occasions during the first two years of that conflict. His record was as follows:
Thomas, Nathaniel, Pembroke, Sergeant, Capt. James Hatch's co., of Minute-men, which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775 from West Parish in Pembroke to Scituate and Marshfield; discharged Apr. 29, 1775; service 11 days.
Nathaniel Thomas died at Pembroke on 1 May 1811 (VR Pem 454), age 60. His widow Betty Thomas died there on 27 September 1842 (VR Pem 455; VR Hans 107). The vital records give her age as 88, the grave marker reads 87 years and 6 months.
also: 1st Lieutenant, Capt. Josiah Cushing Jr.'s 5th (Pembroke) co., 2d Plymouth Co. regt. of Mass. militia; list of officers chosen by the several companies in said regiment, as returned by John Cushing, Jr. and others dated Hanover, May 8, 1776; ordered in Council May 10, 1776, that said officers be commissioned; reported commissioned May 10, 1776.
also: 1st Lt., Capt. Josiah Cushing's co., Col. John Cushing's (Plymouth Co.) regt.; marched Dec. 10, 1776; discharged Dec. 24, 1776; service 15 days; company marched from West Parish in Pembroke to Bristol, Rhode Island on the alarm of Dec. 8, 1776. (MSSRW 15:606)
Nathaniel and Betty Thomas had the following children:
- NATHANIEL7 THOMAS
- b. on 11 September 1774
- d. at Hanson, MA, on 30 October 1775 (age 13 m 19 d) (VR Hans 107)
- NATHANIEL7 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 26 July 1776 (VR Pem 203)
- m. on 13 June 1813 JANE "Jennie" BRIGGS
- b. in 1785
- Child of Daniel and Jane (Lothrop) Briggs
- d. in 1863
- BETTY7 THOMAS "Betsey"
- b. at Pembroke on 12 October 1778 (VR Pem 201)
- m. at Pembroke on 22 November 1801 CORNELIUS COBB (VR Pem 360)
- b. at Plymouth, MA, on 10 February 1775 (VR Ply 242)
- Child of Cornelius and Grace Cobb
- d. at Hanson on 1 December 1833 (VR Hans 91)
- IRA7 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 5 April 1781 (VR Pem 202)
- d. at Hanson on 1 February 1864
- m. at Pembroke on 17 April 1810 BETSEY CUSHING (VR Pem 262)
- b. at Pembroke on 13 April 1788 (VR Pem 72)
- Child of Lt. Elijah Cushing and Anne Thomas (child of Edward Thomas and Rachel Cushing)
- d. at Hanson on 6 September 1858
- ROBERT7 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 18 May 1783 (VR Pem 204)
- d. at Hanson on 5 October 1843 (blacksmith; rheumatic, age 60) (VR Pem 454; VR Hans 108)
- m. at Pembroke on 2 February 1806 LYDIA STETSON (VR Pem 353)
- b. at Pembroke on 11 September 1785 (VR Pem 193)
- Child of Jeremiah (Jr) and Lydia (Bonney) Stetson
- d. at Hanson on 23 April 1862
- MARY7 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 1 January 1786 (VR Pem 203)
- d. at Bridgewater, MA, on 20 January 1839 (age 53 y 19 d) (VR Brdgw 2:537)
- m (his 1st). (int. at Pembroke on 14 October 1808 (VR Pem 361); int. at Bridgewater on 15 October 1808 (VR Brdgw 2:289)) at Pembroke on 18 December 1808 JACOB PERKINS of Bridgewater (VR Pem 361)
- b. at Bridgewater on 16 May 1776 (VR Brdgw 1:254)
- m. (his 2d; her 2d) (int. at Bridgewater on 12 May 1844) Susan Whitaker (Mrs. Susan W. Morse of Groton) (VR Brdgw 2:289)
- b. on 25 September 1795 (VR Brdgw 1:340)
- m (her 1st). ________ Morse
- m (his 3d; her 2d). Betsey Davis
- b. on 22 August 1795 (VR Brdgw 1:90)
- m (her 1st). ________ Blake
- WEALTHY7 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 4 March 1788 (VR Pem 204)
- m. at Pembroke on 1 January 1808 JOSHUA TUCKER of Milton, MA (VR Pem 361)
- b. at Milton, MA, on 22 June 1781 (VR Milt 66)
- Child of Samuel and Abigail Tucker
- Res. Milton
- CALVIN7 THOMAS
- bp. at Second Church of Christ, Pembroke, on 20 May 1790 (VR Pem 201)
- d. at Pembroke bef 16 September 1791 (before birth of another son given same name)
- Capt. CALVIN7 THOMAS Sr. b. at Pembroke on 16 September 1791
- LUTHER7 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 16 March 1794 (VR Pem 203)
- DEBORAH7 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 16 May 1798 (VR Pem)
- d. on 10 Mar 1879
- m (1). (int. at Pembroke on 30 April 1919 (VR Pemb 360)) at Pembroke on 18 May 1818 JOHN STETSON (VR Pem 360)
- b. at Pembroke on 2 February 1797 (VR Pem 193)
- Child of Jeremiah (Jr.) and Lydia (Bonney) Stetson
- d. at Hanson on 16 April 1830 (age 33) (VR Hans 106)
- m (2). at Hanson on 7 August 1831 Capt. CYRUS MUNROE (VR Hans 79)
- bp. at Pembroke on 28 May 1780 (VR Pem 154)
Information on this family can be found in the following:
Other references abbreviated above include:
- Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980. pp. 256,259.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of the Secretary, ed. Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the Revolutionary War. Boston: Wright L. Potter, 1902.
- VR Ab
- Vital Records of Abington, Massachusetts to the Year 1850. 1912.
- VR Brdgw
- Vital Records of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1916.
- VR Hans
- Vital Records of Hanson, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850.
- VR Milt
- Milton Records: Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1662-1843. Boston: Alfred Mudge & Son, 1900.
- VR Pem
- Vital Records of Pembroke, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1911.
- VR Ply
- Sherman, Ruth Wilder, ed. Vital Records of Plymouth, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Camden, Me.: Picton, 1993.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield