Some of the Descendants of
of Marshfield, Plymouth Colony
Much of the information on this website concerning the Thomas Family can be found in the following source, which traces all descendants of William Thomas. It can be found in many genealogical libraries or borrowed through Inter-Library Loan:
Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980.
Captain EDWARD5 THOMAS (Isaac4, Nathaniel3-2, William1) was born at Pembroke, Massachusetts, on 14 October 1713 (VR Pem 201). His parents were Lt. Isaac Thomas and his first wife Anna Tompson.
Edward Thomas married at Pembroke in 1735 RACHEL5 CUSHING (Nehemiah4, Theophilus3, Daniel2, Matthew1) (VR Pem 360). Rachel was born at Pembroke on 25 November 1714 (VR Pem 74), a child of Capt. Nehemiah Cushing and his wife Sarah Nichols.
Although he was over sixty years old, Edward Thomas responded to the alarm for help at the time of the American Revolution. He was a "minuteman" and was given the rank of Lieutenant.
Rachel Thomas died at Pembroke on 8 December 1794 (VR Pem 454). Edward Thomas died there in his 90th year, on 26 December 1802 (VR Pem 453).
Captain Edward and Rachel Thomas had the following children:
- RACHEL6 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 27 November 1736 (VR Pem 204)
- d. at Pembroke on 8 December 1794
- m. at Pembroke on 21 January 1762 JOSIAH THOMAS (VR Pem 361)
- EDWARD6 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 14 June 1739 (VR Pem 201)
- d. at Pembroke on 7 May 1778 (VR Pem 453)
- m. at Duxbury, MA, on 23 May 1757 JUDITH PRINCE
- JOHN6 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 10 December 1741 (VR Pem 202)
- d. at Pembroke on 24 November 1818
- m. at Pembroke on 10 June 1770 SARAH LORING
- b. at Pembroke on 17 June 1746
- Child of Nathaniel and Priscilla (Baley) Loring
- d. at Pembroke on 25 October 1813
- ANNE6 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 23 June 1744 (VR Pem 200)
- d. on 21 April 1821
- m (his 2d). at Pembroke on 2 May 1765 Lt. ELIJAH CUSHING (VR Pem 359)
- b. at Hanover, MA, on 8 October 1725 (VR Han 9)
- Child of Elijah and Elizabeth (Barstow) (Barker) Cushing
- d. at Pembroke on 13 September 1807 (VR Pem 399)
- m (his 1st). at Pembroke on 29 January 1756 Tamar5 Cushing (Theophilus4-3, Daniel2, Matthew1) (VR Pem 263)
- b. on 6 March 1730
- Child of Theophilus Cushing (son of Theophilus Cushing and Mary Thaxter) and Hannah Waterman
- d. on 28 March 1761
- ISAAC6 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 31 March 1747 (VR Pem 202)
- d. at Hanson, MA, on 23 December 1830
- m (1). at Pembroke on 9 December 1781 CATHERINE SMITH
- b. at Pembroke on 21 March 1756
- Child of Rev. Thomas and Judith (Miller) Smith
- d. at Hanson on 26 March 1785
- m (2). at Pembroke on 5 February 1786 NANCY5 "Anne" CUSHING (Josiah4, John3-2, Matthew1)
- b. at Pembroke on 3 January 1760
- Child of Capt. Josiah Cushing and Ruth Thomas (daughter of Isaac Thomas and Anna Tompson)
- d. at Hanson on 14 August 1821
- NATHANIEL6 THOMAS b. at Pembroke on 16 September 1750
- JOSEPH6 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 4 April 1753 (NS) (VR Pem 202)
- d. at Pembroke on 2 July 1753 (VR Pem 454)
- SARAH6 THOMAS
- b. at Pembroke on 6 February 1755 (VR Pem 204)
- d. at Salem, MA, on 2 December 1833 (dropsey; age 79) (VR Salem 5:106)
- m. at Pembroke on 16 October 1777 ENOS BRIGGS (VR Pem 361)
- b. at Pembroke on 29 July 1746 (VR Pem 50)
- Child of Seth and Abigail (Church) Briggs
- bp. at Second Church, Scituate, MA, on 7 September 1746
- d. at Salem on 9 October 1819 (age 73; ship builder; master builder of the frigate Essex) (VR Salem 5:105)
Information on this family can be found in the following:
Other references abbreviated above include:
- Pane-Joyce, David. Scituate Genealogies. aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/scituate/RR01/RR01.
- Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980. pp. 253,255,256,274.
- VR Han
- A Copy of the Records of Births, Marriages, and Deaths and of Intentions of Marriage of the Town of Hanover, Mass. 1727-1857. Rockland, Ma.: Rockland Standard, 1898.
- VR Pem
- Vital Records of Pembroke, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1911.
- VR Salem
- Vital Records of Salem, Massahcusetts, to the End of the Year 1849. Salem, Ma.: Essex Institute, 1918.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield