Some of the Descendants of
of Marshfield, Plymouth Colony
Much of the information on this website concerning the Thomas Family can be found in the following source, which traces all descendants of William Thomas. It can be found in many genealogical libraries or borrowed through Inter-Library Loan:
Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980.
Captain NATHANIEL3 THOMAS, Junior (Nathaniel2, William1), was baptized at Marshfield, Plymouth Colony, on 26 November 1643. His parents were Capt. Nathaniel Thomas Sr. and his wife Mary.
Nathaniel Thomas married for the first time at Marshfield on 19 January 1663/64 DEBORAH2 JACOB (Nicholas1) (VR Marsh 5,17). Deborah, the daughter of Nicholas Jacob and his wife Mary Gilman, was baptized at Hingham, Massachusetts, on 26 November 1643 (His Hing 2:372).
Nathaniel Thomas, a leading citizen of Plymouth Colony, held many important positions in government. He was elected representative from Marshfield in 1672, and for seven years thereafter. He served in King Phillip's War as captain of a company of Light Horse troops on the first outbreak. He was a member of Plymouth Colony's Council of War in 1681, and again in 1685. When Plymouth County was created in 1686 he was made Clerk of County Court. He served the county as judge of Probate Court for 16 years, judge of County Court for 23 years, and judge of Superior Court for 6 years. After Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay Colonies were united under one jurisdiction in 1692, he again represented Marshfield, and sat on the Massachusetts Council for ten years.
In 1694/5 Nathaniel Thomas purchased 250 acres from the Indians in what is now the center of Hanson. He built a dam across the Indian Head River and erected a saw mill. Nathaniel Thomas was one of thirteen male members of the Congregational Church of Marshfield when Edward Tompson became pastor in 1696 (MD 11:37).
Nathaniel's first wife, Deborah, died at Marshfield on 17 June 1696 (VR Marsh 19), in her 53rd year, and was buried the same day at Winslow Cemetery, Marshfield.
Captain Nathaniel Thomas Junior married for the second time at Marshfield on 3 November 1696 (VR Marsh 22). Cotton Mather presided at this, his marriage to Elizabeth (Wilkie)(Condey) Dolberry. It was her third marriage. ELIZABETH WILKIE was born about 1652/53, based on her age at death, daughter of John Wilkie and his wife Elizabeth. She had first married Captain WILLIAM CONDEY about 1681. After his death she married, at Boston, Massachusetts, on 31 December 1689, ANDREW DOLBERRY. Elizabeth (Wilkie) (Condey) (Dolberry) Thomas died at Marshfield on 11 October 1713 (MD 10:49), in her 61st yr.
Captain Nathaniel Thomas married for the third time in 1714, to widow Elizabeth (Dunster) Wade. A daughter of the Reverend Henry Dunster, ELIZABETH DUNSTER was born at Charlestown, Massachusetts, om 7 February 1637. She had first married JONATHAN WADE, who died on 24 November 1689.
Nathaniel Thomas died at Marshfield on 22 October 1718 (VR Marsh 38), in his 75th year, and he was buried at Winslow Cemetery. Nathaniel's widow Elizabeth died at Medford, Massachusetts, in 1729.
Nathaniel Thomas and his first wife, Deborah Jacob, had the following children:
Prior to her marriage to Nathaniel Thomas, Elizabeth (Wilkie) Condey and her husband William had the following child:
- NATHANIEL4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 18 October 1664 (VR Marsh 7,17)
- Religion. Congregational at Marshfield on 1 May 1698 (admitted to church) (MD 11:38)
- d. at Plymouth, MA, on 24 February 1738
- m (1). at Ipswich, MA, on 20 June 1691 MARY APPLETON (by Mr. John Rogers, Minister) (VR Marsh 19)
- b. at Ipswich on 15 April 1673
- d. at Marshfield on 7 October 1727 (MD 10:50)
- m (2; her 2d). at Norton, MA, on 3 September 1730 ANNA TISDALE (VR Nort 269)
- b. at Taunton, Ply. Col., on 27 January 1672 (MD 20:52)
- Child of John Tisdale and Anna Rogers
- d. at Norton in September 1733 (VR Nort 396)
- m (her 1st). at Taunton on 4 July 1695 George Leonard (VR Taun 2:291)
- b. at Taunton on 18 April 1670/71 (VR Taun 1:252)
- Child of Thomas and Mary (Watson) Leonard
- d. at Norton on 5 September 1716 (in 46th yr) (VR Nort 381)
- m (3; her 2d). at Plymouth on 8 November 1734 MARY DOTY
- b. at Plymouth on 9 July 1671 (MD 1:143)
- Child of Edward Doty Jr. and Sarah Faunce
- m (her 1st). at Plymouth on 21 December 1699 Joseph Allen (MD 13:207)
- b. at Barnstable, Ply. Col., on 7 April 1671
- JOSEPH4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 25 August 1666 (VR Marsh 17)
- d. at Marshfield on 13 July 1690 (VR Marsh 17)
- DEBORAH4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 28 September 1668 (VR Marsh 18)
- d. at Plymouth on 14 June 1741
- m. at Marshfield on 1 December 1692 JOHN CROADE (MD 4:126)
- b. at Salem, MA, on 14 June 1663
- DOROTHY4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 6 November 1670 (VR Marsh 18)
- d. at Montville, CT, on 10 January 1755
- m. at Marshfield on 20 November 1688 JOSEPH OTIS (by Mr. Thomas Mighell, Minister) (VR Marsh 19)
- b. at Scituate, Ply. Col., in 1665
- bp. at Hingham, MA, on 3 June 1666
- Child of John Otis Jr and Mary Jacob
- d. at Montville, CT, on 11 June 1754
- WILLIAM4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 4 December 1672 (VR Marsh 18)
- d. at Boston on 27 December 1746
- Occ. sea captain
- m (her 2d). at Boston on 4 June 1701 ABIGAIL RUCK
- b. at Boston on 5 June 1664
- d. at Boston on 4 May 1717
- m (her 1st). bef 1694 Hezekiah Henchman
- d. at Boston on 1 May 1694 (Samuel Sewall’s Diary in GR 6:75)
- ELISHA4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 20 February 1674/75 (VR Marsh 14,17)
- d. bef October 1718
- JOSHUA4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 17 August 1677 (VR Marsh 17,15)
- d. at Boston bet 11 November 1742 and 16 May 1744 (between will and probate (Suffolk Co.))
- m. ANN
- CALEB4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield on 11 October 1680 (VR Marsh 18,11)
- d. bef 27 March 1723
- m (her 1st). at Topsfield, MA, on 21 September 1708 PRISCILLA4 CAPEN (Joseph3, John2, Bernard1)
- b. at Topsfield on 1 September 1685
- Child of Joseph Capen and Priscilla Appleton
- d. bef 11 September 1747
- m (her 2d). at Topsfield on 27 March 1723 Deacon Nathan Peabody
- b. at Boxford, MA, on 21 July 1682
- d. at Boxford on 4 March 1733
- m (her 3d). at Boxford on 1 June 1736 Job Tyler
- b. at Rowley, MA, on 16 December 1675
- d. at Rowley in 1754
- Lt. ISAAC4 THOMAS b. at Marshfield on 19 October 1682
- MARY4 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield in April 1686 (VR Marsh 18)
- d. at Weymouth, MA, on 27 January 1746 (VR Wey 2:274)
- m (1). bef 1739 The Reverend JAMES GARDNER
- Ordained. at Marshfield on 14 May 1707 (MD 11:123)
- b. at Scotland
- d. at Marshfield on 14 September 1739 (MD 9:184)
- m (2; his 2d). at Boston on 12 July 1743 JOHN GOOLD (GR 143:45)
- b. probably at Hull, MA, about 1672 (GR 143:45)
- d. at Hull on 16 November 1762 (aged 90) (GR 143:45)
- m (his 1st). at Hingham on 17 January 1698/99 Lydia Jacob (GR 143:45)
- b. at Hingham on 18 April 1681 (GR 143:45)
- Child of Capt. John Jacob and Mary Russell
- d. at Hull on 28 January 1741/42 (GR 143:45)
- (a son) Condey b. at Boston on 2 January 1682/83
Information on this family can be found in the following:
Other references abbreviated above include:
- Lincoln, George. History of the Town of Hingham, Massachusetts. Hingham, Ma.: Published by the Town, 1893. vol. 2, p. 372. (His Hing)
- Pane-Joyce, David. Scituate Genealogies. aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/scituate/RR01/RR01.
- Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980. pp. 249,272.
- Richards, Lysander Salmon. History of Marshfield. Plymouth, Mass.: Memorial Press, 1901-1905. pp. 86-87.
- Savage, James. Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England. Boston, 1860. vol. 4, pp. 281-82.
- Smith, Ethel Farrington, "Seventeenth Century Hull and Her People," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 143:45. (GR)
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register.
- Mayflower Descendant. Boston: Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants.
- VR Marsh
- Vital Records of Marshfield, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850.
- VR Nort
- Vital Records of Norton, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1906.
- VR Taun
- Vital Records of Taunton, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850.
- VR Wey
- Vital Records of Weymouth, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1910.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield