Some of the Descendants of
of Marshfield, Plymouth Colony
Much of the information on this website concerning the Thomas Family can be found in the following source, which traces all descendants of William Thomas. It can be found in many genealogical libraries or borrowed through Inter-Library Loan:
Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980.
Captain NATHANIEL2 THOMAS, Senior (William1) was born in England about 1606, the only child of William Thomas. Nathaniel probably came to America with his father, some time before November 1636. He may have brought with him his wife, MARY, or else married her soon after arrival.
Nathaniel Thomas of Marshfield was active in Plymouth Colony's small military force. In 1643 he was an Ensign in Capt. Myles Standish's company gathered to fight in the Pequot War. In 1648 he was made a Lieutenant. In 1653 he was part of the force gathered for a military expedition against the Dutch. On 5 March 1654, he was made Captain, to succeed Myles Standish in command of Plymouth Colony military.
Nathaniel Thomas, Sr., died at Marshfield, Plymouth Colony, on 13 February 1674/75; he was buried on 16 February. (VR Marsh 14) His wife Mary was still living at that time.
Nathaniel and Mary Thomas had the following children:
- WILLIAM3 THOMAS
- b. in 1638
- d. at Marshfield on 31 March 1718 (unmarried; in 80th yr) (VR Marsh 38)
- MARY3 THOMAS
- b. abt 1640
- bp. at Marshfield about 1645
- d. bet 1672 and 1690 (after birth of last child; before husband witnessed a will with second wife)
- m (his 1st). abt 1664 Capt. SIMON RAY of Block Island
- bp. Hundon, co. Suffolk, England, on 20 December 1638 (GR 86:326)
- d. at Block Island, RI, on 17 March 1736/37 (GR 86:326)
- m (his 2d; her 2d). bef 18 October 1690 Elizabeth
- b. abt 1645 (GR 86:326)
- m (her first). Humphrey Tiffany of Rehoboth
- Capt. NATHANIEL3 THOMAS Jr. bp. at Marshfield on 26 November 1643
- ELIZABETH3 THOMAS
- b. at Marshfield in 1646 (date is worn off, but amongst 1646 births) (VR Marsh 2)
- d. aft 1709 (unmarried)
- DOROTHY3 THOMAS
- b. bef July 1651 (mentioned in grandfather's will)
- d. young
- BETHIA3 THOMAS
- b. probably at Marshfield aft July 1651 (not mentioned in grandfather's will)
- d. at Pembroke, MA, on 23 September 1718 (MD 10:49)
- bur. abt Sep 27 1718 Marshfield
- m (his 2d). probably at Marshfield bef 1 March 1674/5 Lt. ISAAC2 LITTLE ((Thomas1)
- b. at Plymouth, Plymouth Colony, abt 1645/46 (based on age at death)
- child of Thomas Little and Ann Warren
- d. at Marshfield on 24 November 1699 (abt 53 yrs) (MD 3:42)
- m (his 1st). Mary Otis of Hingham
Information on this family can be found in the following:
Other references abbreviated above include:
- Raymond, John Marshall. Thomas Families of Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Itasca, Ill.: Thomas Family Publications, Harlan Carter Thomas, pub., 1980. pp. 249,272.
- Savage, James. Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England. Boston, 1860. vol. 4, pp. 281-83.
- Moriarty, G. Andrews, "Early Block Island Families," New England Historical and Genealogical Register. 86:326. (GR)
- Wakefield, Robert S., Janice A. Beebe,et al., eds. Mayflower Families in Progress: Richard Warren of the Mayflower and His Descendants for Four Generations. 4th ed., Plymouth, Mass.: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1991. p. 20
- Davis, William T. Ancient Landmarks of Plymouth. Vol. 2: Genealogical Register of Plymouth Families. Boston: Damrell and Upham, 1899. p. 173.
- Anderson, Robert Charles. The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England. Boston: NEHGS, 1995. p. 1191.
- Mayflower Descendant. Boston: Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants.
- VR Marsh
- Vital Records of Marshfield, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield