Some of the Descendants of
and his wife
of Scituate, Plymouth Colony
BETHSHEBA HATCH of Rochester, Massachuestts, and JONATHAN4 NYE (Thomas1, Jonathan1, Benjamin1) of Dartmouth, Massachusetts, published at Dartmouth on 2 December 1749 their intentions to marry (VR Dart 2:228), and were married at Rochester on 11 January 1749/50 (VR Roch 2:227). Jonathan Nye was born at Dartmouth on 9 September 1727 (Nye 78), a child of Thomas Nye and his wife Deborah Peckham. Bethsheba Hatch's origins have not yet been discovered by this researcher. If anyone has any information on her origins and parents, please contact Chuck Maxfield at email@example.com
Jonathan Nye died within a year of his marriage, at Dartmouth on 11 September 1750 (Nye 78).
Bathsheba Nye of Rochester and CHARLES5 STETSON (Anthony4, Robert3, Joseph2, Robert1) of Hanover, Massachusetts, published at Scituate on 8 August 1752 (VR Sci 2:282), and at Rochester on 9 August 1752 (VR Roch 2:296), their intentions to marry. They were probably married soon after, although the date and place has not been discovered.
Charles Stetson was born at Scituate on 17 October 1726 (VR Sci 1:348), a child of Anthony Stetson and his wife Anna Smith. He was baptized at Second Church, Scituate, on 25 December 1726 ("Records of Second Church, Scituate," GR 61:372).
Charles and Bethsheba Stetson lived at Rochester (Stetson 2:109). Charles Stetson paid the rate bill in 1776, which is considered the equivalent of service in the Revolution. (Stetson 2:109).
Charles and Bethsheba Stetson had the following children:
- ANNE6 STETSON
- b. at Rochester on 28 May 1753 (Stetson 2:109)
- m. at First Church, Rochester on 26 December 1771 EBENEZER MORSE (VR Roch 2:291)
- b. at Rochester on 31 January 1747 (VR Roch 1:221)
- Child of Edward and Margaret Morse
- (Baptism record given as 29 June 1746)
- CHARLES6 STETSON Jr. b. at Rochester on 24 May 1755
- HANNAH6 STETSON
- b. at Rochester on 4 July 1757 (Stetson 2:109)
- d. at Rochester on 23 February 1816 (Hannah Sherman, widow of William) (VR Roch 2:430)
- m (int. at Rochester on 26 May 1776). Deac. WILLIAM SHERMAN 4th (VR Roch 2:292)
- b. at Rochester on 4 July 1748 (VR Roch 1:262)
- Child of John Sherman, Jr., and Deborah
- d. at Rochester on 23 January 1814 (Deacon William Sherman, age 65) (VR Roch 2:431)
- REBECCA6 STETSON
- b. at Rochester on 30 September 1761 (Stetson 2:109)
- m (int. at Rochester on 20 December 1783 (VR Roch 2:157)). at Dartmouth on 30 March 1784 RICHARD HAMMOND (she of Dartmouth; he of Rochester) (VR Dart 2:479)
- b. at Rochester on 1 January 1756 (VR Roch 1:153)
- Child of Josiah and Rebecca Hammond
- THADDEUS6 STETSON
- b. at Rochester on 23 June 1764 (Stetson 2:109)
- m (1). at New Bedford, MA, on 24 May 1789 ESTHER JENNE (both of New Bedford. At Church of Christ, First Congregational, Dartmouth) (VR NB 2:517)
- bp. at Church of Christ, First Congregational, Dartmouth, on 8 June 1766 (VR Dart 1:138)
- Child of Jabez Jenne
- m (2). at New Bedford on 30 April 1794 MARY HOWARD (both of New Bedford) (VR NB 2:517)
- m (int. at New Bedford on 9 December 1809 (VR NB 2:517)) (3). at Rochester on 28 December 1809 SALLY BISBEE (he of New Bedford, she of Rochester; at First Church, Rochester) (VR Roch 2:292)
- JOSEPH6 STETSON
- bp. at Second Church of Rochester (Mattapoiset) on 16 August 1772 (VR Roch 1:287)
- m (1). at New Bedford on 27 October 1793 LURANA WOOD (VR NB 2:516)
- m (2). at New Bedford on 8 April 1802 LUCY WOOD (both of New Bedford) (VR NB 2:516)
- m (int. at New Bedford on 8 September 1803) (3). FEAR PERRY (he of New Bedford, she of Sandwich) (VR NB 2:516)
- b. at Sandwich, MA, on 18 June 1775 ("Ezra Perry of Sandwich," GR 115:279)
- bp. at Sandwich on 7 September 1777 ("Ezra Perry of Sandwich," GR 115:279)
- d. at Monument, Bourne, MA, on 2 February 1858 ("Ezra Perry of Sandwich," GR 115:279)
- (NOTE: It has not been proven that all three of these marriages are for the same Joseph Stetson)
Information on this family is found in the following:
- Stetson, Oscar Frank. The Descendants of Cornet Robert Stetson of Scituate. Stetson Kindred of America, Inc., 1933-56. (Stetson)
Other references abbreviated above include:
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register.
- Nye, L. Bert, comp. A Genealogy of American Nyes of English Origin. East Sandwich, Ma.: Nye Family Association of America, 1977.
- VR Dart
- Vital Records of Dartmouth, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1929, 1929, 1930.
- VR NB
- Vital Records of New Bedford, Massachusetts to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1932, 1932, 1941.
- VR Roch
- Vital Records of Rochester, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1914.
- VR Sci
- Vital Records of Scituate, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. 1909; Boston: NEHGS, 1976.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield