Some of the Descendants of
and his wife
of Scituate, Plymouth Colony
JOSEPH2 STETSON (Robert1) was born either in Scituate, Plymouth Colony, or in England, depending on when you believe his family emmigrated, on June 1640 (VR Sci 1:333--Jun 1639; GR 151:439–explains why VR is probably in error). His parents were Robert Stetson and his wife Honour Tucker. He probably came to America with his parents in 1642 (GR 151:439). He was baptized at Second Church (Congregational) of Scituate by Rev. William Witherell on 5 October 1645 (VR Sci 1:347; "Records of the Second Church of Scituate," GR 57:82).
Joseph Stetson married RUTH2 HILAND (Thomas1) sometime between 1664 and 1667 (Stetson 1:22). Ruth was a daughter of Thomas and Deborah Hiland. Ruth died about 1667, soon after the birth of her only child (Stetson 1:22).
Joseph Stetson married PRUDENCE about 1669 (Stetson 1:22--bef 1670). Prudence was on the membership list of Second Church (Congregational) Scituate in 1704 ("Records of the Second Church of Scituate," GR 57:322).
Joseph Stetson died sometime between 4 April 1722, when he wrote his will at Scituate (Savage 4:183), and 8 May 1724, when the will was proved in Plymouth County Probate Court (Savage 4:183). The Joseph Stetson family always lived in Scituate (Stetson 1:22).
Joseph Stetson and his first wife Ruth Hiland had the following child:
Joseph Stetson and his second wife Prudence had the following children:
- JOSEPH3 STETSON
- b. at Scituate on 1667 (VR Sci 1:333)
- bp. at Second Church, Scituate, on June 1667 ("Records of the Second Church of Scituate," GR 57:179)
- d. aft 1 September 1699 (administered brother's estate) (MD 34:54)
- m (1). at Scituate on 6 November 1688 HANNAH OLDHAM (VR Sci 2:268)
- b. at Scituate on 7 March 1664/65 (Sci Internet)
- bp. at Second Church, Scituate, on 30 April 1665 ("Records of the Second Church of Scituate," GR 57:179)
- Child of Thomas Oldham
- d. on 14 February 1727 (Sci Internet)
- m (2; her 3d). at Pembroke, MA, on 1 March 1736 MARY PEIRCE (TAG 70:47)
- m (1) John Sanders
- m (2; his 3d). at Pembroke on 7 January 1724/25 Henry2 Perry (William1) (TAG 70:47)
- b. about 1665 (TAG 70:47)
- Child of William Perry and Susanna Carver
- Will. at Pembroke on 29 March 1733 (TAG 70:47)
- d. at Pembroke bet 1733 and 1734 (TAG 70:47)
- Probate. at Plymouth County, MA, on 13 September 1734 (will proved and inventory taken) (TAG 70:47)
- m (1). about 1690 Susanna (TAG 70:46)
- d. bef 26 November 1700 (TAG 70:46)
- m (2; her 2d). at Plymouth, MA, on 26 November 1700 Mary (TAG 70:46)
- m (1) perhaps Joshua Pratt
- d. at Plymouth on 16 February 1697/98 ("Plymouth, Mass., Vital Records," MD 16:63)
- ROBERT3 STETSON b. at Scituate on 9 December 1670
- LOIS3 STETSON
- b. at Scituate on March 1672 (VR Sci 1:333)
- d. aft 1 September 1699 (mentioned in administration of brother William's estate; single) (MD 34:54)
- WILLIAM3 STETSON
- b. at Scituate on December 1673 (VR Sci 1:336)
- d. at Scituate on 14 August 1699 (William, son of Joseph, Sr.) (VR Sci 2:444)
- Probate. at Barnstable County, MA, on 1 September 1699 (MD 34:54)
- 1 September, 1699, administration granted to Joseph Stetson, brother of William Stetson; inventory same date. William died intestate, no wife or children. Property equally divided among siblings: Joseph, Robert, Samuel, Lois, Desire, Prudence, Hannah, all surnamed Stetson
- DESIRE3 STETSON
- b. at Scituate on September 1676 (VR Sci 1:331)
- d. aft 3 January 1760 (living in husband's will) (GR 85:365)
- m. at Scituate on 16 August 1703 RICHARD SILVESTER (VR Sci 2:267)
- b. at Scituate on 2 March 1678/79 (VR Sci 1:321)
- Child of Israel Silvester
- bp. at Second Church, Scituate, on 4 May 1679 ("Records of the Second Church of Scituate," GR 57:182)
- d. bef 19 February 1768 (GR 85:365)
- PRUDENCE3 STETSON
- b. at Scituate on September 1678 (VR Sci 1:335)
- d. perhaps on 20 June 1750 (VR Brdgw 2:516)
- m. at Scituate on 17 December 1707 (by Mr. Nathaniel Eells): EBENEZER LEACH of Bridgewater (VR Sci 2:270; VR Brdgw 2:356)
- NOTE: one of the following records could be for this person: Deaths, Leach, Ebenezer, 10 March 1750; Leach, Ebenezer, 19 February 1753--VR Brdgw 2:514
- SAMUEL3 STETSON
- b. at Scituate on December 1679 (VR Sci 1:335)
- d. aft 1 September 1699 (mentioned in administration of estate of brother William) (MD 34:54)
- HANNAH3 STETSON
- b. at Scituate on June 1682 (VR Sci 1:332)
- d. at Scituate on 18 March 1740 (VR Sci 2:411)
- m. at Scituate on 25 April 1705 SOLOMON LINCOLN (VR Sci 2:268)
Information on this family is found in the following:
- Bangs, Jeremy D., "Cornet Robert Stetson's Arrival in Scituate and the Birth of His Son Joseph," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 151:438-441. (GR)
- Deane, Samuel. History of Scituate, Massachusetts, From Its First Settlement to 1831. Boston: James Loring, 1831.
- Dreger, Alice H., "William Perry of Scituate and Marshfield, Massachusetts," The American Genealogist 70:42-48. (TAG)
- Ravenscroft, Ruth Thayer, "Stetson of Massachusetts," Colonial Genealogist 3:229-230
- Savage, James. Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England. Boston, 1860. (Savage)
- Silvester, Albert Henry, "Richard Silvester and His Descendants," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 85:357-71+.
- Stetson, Oscar Frank. The Descendants of Cornet Robert Stetson of Scituate. Stetson Kindred of America, Inc., 1933-56. (Stetson)
Other references abbreviated above include:
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register.
- Mayflower Descendant. Boston: Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants.
- Pane-Joyce, David. Scituate Genealogies. aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/scituate/RR01/RR01, May 4, 1998.
- VR Brdgw
- Vital Records of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1916.
- VR Sci
- Vital Records of Scituate, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. 1909; Boston: NEHGS, 1976.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield