Some of the Descendants of
WILLIAM and AVIS REED
of Weymouth, Massachusetts
Seargent THOMAS2 REED (William1) was born probably at Weymouth, Massachusetts about 1645, a child of William and Avis Reed. Thomas married SARAH3 BICKNELL (John2, Zachary1) about 1670. The daughter of John Bicknell and his wife Mary Shaw, Sarah was born at Weymouth about 1651.
Seargent Thomas Reed served in the Indian Wars in 1690 and 1695.
Seargent Thomas Reed wrote his will on 27 October 1719. In it he mentioned grandchildren, the children of son Thomas deceased; his five daughters, Mary Lovell, Sarah Stockbridge, Ruth White, Hannah Hunt, and Elizabeth Hunt (Suff Pro 21:552). The will was proved at Suffolk County on 30 November 1719.
Sarah (Bicknell) Reed died at Weymouth on 21 August 1719 (VR Wey 2:329). Her husband Thomas died there within three months, on 14 November 1719 (VR Wey 2:329).
Seargent Thomas and Sarah Reed had the following children:
- THOMAS3 REED
- b. at Weymouth on 12 September 1671 (VR Wey 1:251)
- d. at Weymouth on 2 October 1719 (VR Wey 2:329)
- m. at Weymouth on 14 January 1700/1 HANNAH RANDALL (VR Wey 2:159)
- b. about 1679/80 (based on age at death)
- d. at Weymouth on 16 April 1767 (in 88th yr) (VR Wey 2:328)
- MARY3 REED b. at Weymouth about 1672/73
- SARAH3 REED
- b. probably at Weymouth about 1675
- d. at Hanover, MA, on 7 September 1758
- m. at Hingham, MA, on 28 July 1697 THOMAS STOCKBRIDGE of Scituate (VR Sci 2:273–she is called "Sarah Pool")
- b. at Scituate, Ply. Col., on 6 April 1667 (VR Sci 1:336)
- d. at Scituate, MA, on 3 March 1717/18 (VR Sci 2:446)
- JOHN3 REED
- b. at Weymouth on 30 December 1679 (VR Wey 1:249)
- d. at Weymouth on December 1757
- m. (int. at Weymouth on 11 November 1715) SARAH WHITMARSH (VR Wey 2:160)
- b. at Weymouth on 19 October 1694 (VR Wey 1:353)
- Child of Capt. Ezra Whitmarsh and Bathsheba Richards
- SAMUEL3 REED
- b. at Weymouth on 12 April 1681 (VR Wey 1:251)
- d. at Weymouth on 25 June 1739
- m. on 7 January 1704 ABIGAIL WHITE
- b. at Weymouth on 3 March 1682/83 (VR Wey 1:336)
- Child of Lt. Ebenezer White and Hannah Phillips
- d. at Mendon, MA
- RUTH3 REED b. at Weymouth on 20 February 1684/85
- Sergt. WILLIAM3 REED
- b. at Weymouth on 4 February 1687/88 (VR Wey 1:252)
- d. at Weymouth on 22 September 1729 (in 43rd yr) (VR Wey 2:328)
- m. at Weymouth on 13 December 1716 JANE TORREY (VR Wey 2:161)
- b. about 1689/90 (based on age at death)
- d. at Weymouth on 24 January 1729/30 (aged 40 yrs) (VR Wey 2:328)
- HANNAH3 REED
- b. at Weymouth on 25 September 1689 (VR Wey 1:248)
- m. (int. at Weymouth on 6 November 1714) JOHN HUNT of Weymouth (VR Wey 2:159)
- perhaps b. at Weymouth on 23 November 1687 (VR Wey 1:149)
- child John and Ruth Hunt
- ELIZABETH3 REED
- b. at Weymouth on 9 November 1694 (VR Wey 1:248)
- d. at Weymouth on 30 May 1736 (VR Wey 2:287)
- m. at Weymouth on 19 December 1717 THOMAS HUNT (VR Wey 2:159)
- perhaps b. at Weymouth on 1 May 1696 (VR Wey 1:153)
- Child of Ephraim and Johanna Hunt
Information on this web page comes from the following sources, which can be consulted for further information:
Other references abbreviated above:
- Aldridge, Bertha Bortle Beal. Reed Descendants: Thirteen Generations, Including the Ancestors of Paul Reed 1605-1955; Also Other Lines of Descendants of His Immigrant Ancestor William Reed, Born 1605 England. Batavia, NY: LaVerne Cooley, 1955. P. 13.
- Chamberlain, George Walter. History of Weymouth, Massachusetts. Part 2 (vols. 3 and 4). Weymouth, Ma.: Weymouth Historical Society,1923. Pp. 569-72.
- Joslyn, Roger D., "The Descendants of John Stockbridge." New England Historical and Genealogical Register 134:70.
- Lincoln, George. History of the Town of Hingham, Massachusetts. Hingham, Ma.: Published by the Town, 1893. 3:125.
- Savage, James. Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England. Boston, 1860. 3:519.
- Suff Pro
- Records of Probate Court. Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- VR Sci
- Vital Records of Scituate, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. 1909; Boston: NEHGS, 1976.
- VR Wey
- Vital Records of Weymouth, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1910.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield