Descendants of John Maxfield
of Salisbury, Massachusetts
JOHN A.7 MAXFIELD (Enoch6, John5, Michael4, John3-2-1)
was born at Gilmanton, New Hampshire on 4 January 1840 (Smith Cem; NH D). He was a child of Enoch Maxfield and his wife Sarah Thompson. John married APHIA H. PAGE at Wentworth, New Hampshire on 31 August 1862 (VR NH M). Information from the marriage record follows:
John Maxfield of Gilmanton, NH, 22, white, farmer, b. Gilmanton, 1st
Aphia H. Page was born at Wentworth on 4 May 1842 (death record; 4 May 1843 on Cem record; 1840 on 1900 Census; 1842/3 in 1880 Census; 1843/4 on 1870 Census) Her parents were Zebina Page and Betsey Merrill.
Aphia Page of Wentworth, NH, 19, white, b. Wentworth, 1st
he child of Enoch Maxfield (b. Chichester) and Sally (b. Gilmanton)
she child of Zebina Page (b. Sharon) and Betsy (b. Loudon)
m. by Thomas Barron of Wentworth, clergyman, on Aug 31, 1862, at Wentworth
John A. Maxfield was reported to be a farmer in all records examined, however his residence changed. He was from Gilmanton in 1862 (marriage record), from Wentworth in 1863 (child's birth record), and from Gilmanton on all records from 1865 on.
This family was reported in Gilmanton in the 1870 (836:1:119A) and 1880 (760:90C) Censuses. The 1880 Census, which follows, included all known family members:
|15. Maxfield, John A.
|16. Maxfield, Aphia H.
|17. Maxfield, Addie P.
|18. Maxfield, Etta S.
|19. Maxfield, Hattie
|20. Maxfield, Bertie
Aphia Maxfield died at Farmington, New Hampshire on 21 September 1899 (VR NH D). The details of her death record follow:
||age 57-4-17, b. Wentworth NH, married, housewife, typhoid fever, bur. Gilmanton, child of Lebina Page (b. Wentworth, farmer) and Betsey Merrill (b. Wentworth)
John Maxfield, widower, was reported in the 1900 Census in Gilmanton. living alone (944:1:75A). John Maxfield died at Gilmanton on 28 April 1902 (Smith Cem). Both John and Aphia were burried at Smith Meeting House Cemetery in Gilmanton (Smith Cem).
John and Aphia Maxfield had the following children:
- ADDIE P.8 MAXFIELD
- b. at Wentworth on 21 July 1863 (VR NH B)
- m. at Gilmanton on 17 December 1881 WILLIAM M. FOSS (both of Gilmanton) (VR NH Br)
- ETTA S.8 MAXFIELD
- b. at Gilmanton in 1865 (F)
- m. at Farmington, NH, on 6 February 1883 ELMER E. DOWNING (she of Gilmanton, he of Farmington) (VR NH Br)
- HATTIE F.8 MAXFIELD (F)
- b. at New Hampshire abt 1869/70 (1880 Census)
- m (1). at Gilmanton on 21 April 1900 CHARLES W. ORDWAY (both of Gilmanton) (VR NH Br)
- m (2). ________ CANNEY (F)
- LEWIS ALBERT8 MAXFIELD "Bert"
- b. at Gilmanton on 1 February 1872 (VR NH B)
- Census 1900 at Gilmanton (944:1:75A)
- Maxfield, Burt, head, white, male, b. February 1872, age 28, married, b. NH, parents b. NH NH, farmer
- Maxfield, Ethel, wife, white, female, b. June 1873, married 0 children born, 0 children living, b. NH, parents b. NH NH
- Census. 1910 at Gilmantin (860:1:68A)
- Maxfield, Bert A., head, male, white, 38, married (1) for 15 years, b. NH, parents b. NH NH, farmer, general farm
- Maxfield, Ethel A., wife, female, white, 36, married (1) for 15 years, 0 children born, 0 children living, b. NH, parents b. NH NH, occupation: none
- Page, Munroe, uncle, male, white, 59, single, b. NH, parents b. NH NH, farm laborer, working out
- Census 1920 at Gilmanton (1006:2B)
- Maxfield Bert A., head, male, white, 48, married, b. NH, parents b. NH NH, farmer, general Farm
- Lowe, Christine M., servant, female, white, 35, married, b. NH, parents b. VT NH, servant, private family
- Census. 1930 at Gilmanton (4610730:6A)
- 14. Maxfield, Bert A., head, male, white, 58, single, b. NH, parents b. NH NH, occupation: none
- 15. Long, Christine M., servant, female, white, 42, divorced, b. NH, parents b. VT NH, housekeeper, private family
- 16. Jones, Robert J., lodger, male, white, 16, single, b. NH, parents b. NH NH, laborer, hosiery mill
- d. at Gilmanton on 24 April 1936 (NH D)
- m. about 1894/5 ETHEL A. MCCRARY (1910 census; F)
- b. at New Hampshire in June 1873 (1900 Census)
- d. ? - no record after 1910
Information on this family is found in:
Other sources abbreviated above include:
- French, Harry Dana, Descendants of John Maxfield of Salisbury, Mass. abt 1952. Manuscript, New Hampshire Historical Society, Concord, NH. (F)
- Census records
- NH D
- New Hampshire Death Records, 1654-1947. Family Search (familysearch.org).
- Smith Cem
- Mary Lovering Holman, ed., 1911; ed. for internet by Trish Elliott-Kashima. Smith Meeting House Burial Ground at Gilmanton, N. H.
- VR NH B
- Bureau of Vital Statistics, State of New Hampshire, Concord, NH. Index of Births to 1900. microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
- VR NH Br
- Bureau of Vital Statistics, State of New Hampshire, Concord, NH. Vital Records: Bride's Index, 1640-1900. microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
- VR NH D
- Bureau of Vital Statistics, State of New Hampshire, Concord, NH. Index of Deaths to 1900. microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
- VR NH M
- Bureau of Vital Statistics, State of New Hampshire, Concord, NH. Index to Marriages Up to 1900. microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Return to Maxfield Genealogy
Go to Maxfield Outline Index
© 2012 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield