Descendants of Clement Maxfield
of Dorchester, Massachusetts
JOHN F.9 MAXFIELD
(James8-7, Daniel6, probably Daniel5-4, Ebenezer3, Samuel2, Clement1), or "John T. Maxfield," was born in Bristol, Rhode Island about 1847/8. According to both of his marriage records, he was a child of James and Jane Maxfield, even though he was born several years before their marriage, and the birth records of their other children number them without counting John.
John Maxfield married, as his first wife, in Barrington, Rhode Island, on 3 October 1876 SARAH LIZZIE KENDRICK (VR RI M 1876:454), recorded as follows:
Barrington, Oct 3, 1876
Sarah was born in Somerville, Massachusetts, on 26 July 1857, a child of Elbridge and Elizabeth Kendrick according to her death record. She died in Barrington, on 6 January 1881 (VR RI D 1881:1010), and was buried in Prince's Hill Burial Ground, Barrington. (RI Cem). Her death record reported:
John F. Maxfield of Barrington, 28, white, carpenter, b. Bristol to James and Jane Maxfield, 1st;
Sarah Lizzie Kendrick of Barrington, 19, white, b. Somerville, Ma., to Elbridge G. and Elizabeth F. Kendrick, 1st;
by S. Brenton Shaw, D.D., rector of Saint John's Church
1881 Deaths, Barrington, Jan 6, Sarah S. Maxfield, 23-5-11, d. Barrington, female, white, married, b. Somerville, Ma., American, to Elbridge and Elizabeth Kenrick; pulmonary consumption
John Maxfield married as his second wife ANNA MARIA KENDALL, at Barrington, on 23 December 1886 (VR RI M 1886:459), reported as follows:
Dec 23, 1886 Barrington
Anna Maria was born in Prividence, Rhode Island, in May 1835 (1900 census). She had previously married a man surnamed Jenks, and brought one child from that marriage into her second marriage.
John F. Maxfield of Barrington, 39, white, carpenter, b. Bristol to James and Jane Maxfield; 2d;
Anna Maria Kendall of Providence, 52, white, b. Providence to William and Amelia Kendall, 2d;
by William M. Chapin, rector of Saint John's P. E. Church
John Maxfield was reported as a carpenter in both his marriage records and the birth records of all three of his children.
John Maxfield died before 1900, as that census (1508:1:194) reported Anna Maxfield a widow living with her son at 29 Lenox Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island:
|Jencks, Dorothy E.
|Maxfield, Annie M.
|Maxfield, Preston K.
John Maxfield and his first wife Sarah Kendrick had the following children:
John F. Maxfield's second wife had the following child by a previous marriage:
- CHESTER10 MAXFIELD
- b. in Barrington, on 14 July, 1877 RI (VR RI B 1877:2; SSDI)
- Barrington: Jul 14, 1877, Chester Maxfield male white 1st b. Barrington to John F. and Sarah S. Maxfield of Barrington, he carpenter b. Bristol; she b. Somerville, Ma
- Census. 1910 at Cranston, RI (1438:2:99A)
- Maxfield, Chester head M W 31 Mar.(1st) for 2 yrs, b. RI father b.ME, mother b. VT, boat builder, shop
- Maxfield, Nellie wife F W 30 Mar.(2nd) for 2 yrs, 3 children, 3 living; b. RI, father b. RI, mother b. England, occ. none
- Census. 1920 at 10 Fair Street, Warwick, RI, in household of Elizabeth Holgate (1671:12A)
Maxfield, Chester lodger M W 42 mar b. RI, parents b. RI RI, millwright, shop
- Census. 1930 at 9 Lawn Avenue, Warwick, at residence of George and Hazel M. Opdyke (2169:4B)
Maxfield, Chester roomer M W 52 mar. at age 30, b. RI, parents b. RI RI, carpenter, house, veteran of Spanish War
- d. in September, 1967, residence: Bristol (SSDI)
- m. about 1907/8 HELEN BARNARD
- b. at Rhode Island about 1879/80 (1910 census)
- PRESTON K.10 MAXFIELD
- b. in Barrington, on 8 August, 1878 (VR RI B 1878:2)
- Barrington: Aug 8, 1878, Preston K., male, white, second, b. Barrington to John F. and Sarah S. Maxfield of Barrington; he carpenter b. Bristol; she b. Somerville, Ma
- Census. 1920 at SnS Club, 4th Avenue, Seattle, WA (1929:11B)
Maxfield, Preston lodger M W 41 S b. RI, parents b. RI RI, laborer, saw mill
- CLIFFORD10 MAXFIELD
- b. in Barrington, on 29 February, 1880 (VR RI B 1880:2)
- Barrington: Clifford Maxfield, male, white, 3d, b. Barrington to John F. and Sarah S. Maxfield of Barrington, he carpenter b. Bristol; she b. Somerville, Ma
- d. in Barrington, on 15 December, 1880 (VR RI D 1880:976)
- Dec 15, 1880, Clifford Maxfield, age 0-9-15 d. Barrington. Male, White. b. Barrington to John T and Sarah S. Maxfield. infantile
- bur. Prince's Hill Burial Ground, Barrington
- Walter Jencks
- b. at Rhode Island on July 1866 (1900 census)
Information on this family can be found in:
Other sources abbreviated above include:
- RI Cem
- Rhode Island Historical Cemeteries Transcription Project. http://www.rootsweb.com/~rigenweb/cemetery.
- Social Security Death Index. http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com.
- VR RI
- Rhode Island Department of Health, Providence, Rhode Island. Vital Records. microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Return to Maxfield Genealogy
Go to Name List Index
© 2001 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield