Descendants of Clement Maxfield
of Dorchester, Massachusetts
JOHN WOOD7 MAXFIELD (David6, probably Daniel5-4, Ebenezer3, Samuel2, Clement1) was born in Rhode Island about 1795 according to his death record, or about 1793/4 according to the 1850 census. For the confusion caused by two couples named John and Nancy Maxfield about the same time and place, and a theory of interpretation, see the page on John Maxfield and Ann Drowne. This John Maxfield was a child of David Maxfield and his wife Meribah Wood.
This John Maxfield married NANCY BRIGGS; they were probably married before the 1820 census. Nancy was born at Barrington, Rhode Island, on 7 May 1799, according to her death record.
The 1820 census reported at Bristol a John Maxfield household consisting of three persons: a male and a female ages 16-25, and a female age 0-9. I have not identified the small child.
As John remarried before Nancy died, and he was not living with a wife in the 1850 census, it is possible that John and Nancy were divorced before 1850. John Maxfield appeared in the 1850 Census in Bristol Rhode Island (Bristol Co., 5), in the household of Charles Fales, 58, farmer, and Lydia, 52, as follows:
John Maxfield married, as his second wife, at Providence, Rhode Island, on 21 January 1864, PATIENCE EMILY HILL COLE (VR RI M 1864:434). The marriage was recorded as follows:
Jan 21, 1864 Providence
Patience was born at Bristol on 6 February 1827, according to her death record, a child of David and Polly Cole.
John Wood Maxfield of Bristol, 62, white, farmer, b. Bristol to David and Meribah, 2d;
Patience Hill Cole of Bristol, 38, white, b. Warren to David and Polly, 1st;
by William McDonald, M. E. pastor
John Maxfield died within a year of this second marriage, when he fell through the ice at Swansea, Massachusetts, on 13 December 1864 (VR RI D 1864:698,706). The event was recorded in both Bristol and Warren. The Bristol record follows:
Bristol Record: Dec 13, 1804, John Maxfield, age 68 yrs, d. Swansea, Ma., male, white, married, b. Bristol, American, to David and Meribah Maxfield, fall on the ice.
Widow Nancy B. Maxfield, age 70, appeared in the 1870 census (1479:1:24A) in the household of Henry G. (37) and Nancy B. (35) Manford, at Providence. She died at Providence on 23 September 1879 (VR RI D 1879:1282), according to the record:
Sep 23, 1879, Nancy Maxfield, age 80-4-16, d. 66 Pearl Street, Providence. Female, White, Widow of John W. b. Barrington, RI to William and Nancy; apoplexy
John's second wife, Patience, died at Providence on 3 May 1896 (VR RI D 1896:775), as recorded:
1896 Deaths, Providence, May 3, Patience Emily Hill Maxfield, 69-2-25, d. St. Joseph's Hospital, female, white, widow of John, b. Bristol, RI, American, to David and Patty Cole; fracture of femur, fall on street
John Wood Maxfield and his first wife Nancy may have had the following children, and perhaps others:
- WILLIAM BRIGGS8 MAXFIELD
- b. at Bristol bet 14 November and 13 December 1824 (death record)
- d. at Providence on 13 March 1879 (VR RI D 1879:1228)
- Mar 13, 1879, William Briggs Maxfield, 54 y 3 mo, 17 Albion St. Male, White, Married, printer, b. Bristol, RI, American, to John and Nancy. consumption
- m (her 1st). at Fall River, Mass., on 6 January 1859 SARAH E. WRIGHTINGTON (VR Ma 126:81)
- William B. Maxfield of Barrington, RI, 34, painter, b. Bristol to John and Nancy, 1st
Sarah C. Wrightington of Fall River, 23, b. Fall River to Charles and Mary, 1st
by E. Thurston, minister
- b. at Fall River abt 1835/6 (marriage record)
- child of Charles Wrightington and Mary Chase
- Census. 1880 at Fall River (524:9C)
- Charity Wrightington self mar F W 47 b. MA, keeping house, parents b. MA MA
Sarah Maxfield other mar F W 44 b. MA, miliner, parents b. MA MA
Hannah M. Maxfield other S F W 42 b. MA, miliner, parents b. MA MA
NOTE: Hannah not yet identified
- m (2). at Rochester, Mass., on 5 December 1882 Josiah Bisbee (VR Roch(H) Marr:46:12)
- Josiah Bisbee of Rochester, 72, 3d marr., farmer, b. Rochester to Levi and Cassandra (Ellis);
Sarah E. Maxfield (m.n. Wrightington) of Rochester, 46, 2d marr., b. Fall River to Charles Wrightington and Mary (Chase);
by Richard T. Wilton, Congregational minister, North Rochester
- b. at Rochester on 5 December 1809 (VR Roch)
- JOHN WOOD8 MAXFIELD b. at Bristol on 9 July 1827
Information on this family is found in:
Other sources abbreviated above include:
- VR Ma
- Massachusetts Vital Records. Division of Vital Statistics, State House, Boston, Ma.; microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
- VR RI
- Rhode Island Department of Health, Providence, Rhode Island. Vital Records. microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
- VR Roch
- Vital Records of Rochester, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850.
- VR Roch(H)
- Holbrook, Jay Mack, ed. Massachusetts Vital Records: Rochester. Oxford, Mass.: Holbrook Research Institute.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Return to Maxfield Genealogy
Go to Maxfield Outline Index
© 2004 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield