Descendants of Clement Maxfield
of Dorchester, Massachusetts
(perhaps Daniel6, probably Daniel5-4, Ebenezer3, Samuel2, Clement1) was born in Rhode Island about 1807/8, according to the 1850 Census. The identity of his parents has not yet been documented by this researcher. Of the two Maxfields in the area of Bristol, Rhode Island, having children in this period of time, Daniel and David, we have David's Revolutionary Pension Record, which in 1820 mentioned only one minor child, Phebe. So by only the process of elimination we conjecture that Joshua was a child of Daniel and Deborah Maxfield.
Joshua Maxfield married REBECCA PECK, at Seekonk, Massachusetts, on 12 August 1832. She was born at Rehoboth, Massachusetts about 1797/8,according to her death record, in Massachusetts about 1799/1800, according to the 1850 Census.
The Joshua Maxfield family was reported at Barrington, Rhode Island, in the 1840 census (504:4), consisting of a female 40-49 (Rebecca), a male 30-39 (Joshua), a female 15-19 (unidentified), a male 5-9 (son Charles) and a male 0-4 (son Augustus).
This family was reported in the 1850 Census at Bristol, Rhode Island (Bristol Co., 2), as follows:
|Catherine W. Maxfield
Rebecca Maxfield died at Bristol on 8 February 1870 (VR RI D 1870:852), recorded as follows:
Bristol: Feb 8, 1870, Rebecca Maxfield, 72 yrs, d. Bristol Neck, female, white, married, b. Rehoboth, Ma., American, to Aaron and Sylvia Peck, Dropsy chest
Joshua Maxfield was reported in the 1870 census (1471:1:17A) at Bristol, a 63 year old farm laborer, living alone. In 1880 (523:169B) he was reported at the home of Philip and Frences J. Peck, at Rehoboth, Massachusetts, age 72. His death must have occurred some time after 1880.
Joshua and Rebecca Maxfield had the following children:
- CHARLES A.8 MAXFIELD (middle initial also given as "W" or "S")
- b. at Bristol on December 1831 (1900 census)
- Census. 1880 at Warren (1209:115A)
- Charles A. Maxfield self mar M W 47 b. RI, farmer, parents b. RI RI
Sarah E. Maxfield wife mar F W 59 b. RI, keeping house
- Census. 1900 at East Providence, RI (1510:2:185-185A), in household of Hezekiah and Lillian Burr
- Maxfield, Charles A. brother-in-law W M b. Dec 1831 Wd, b. RI, parents b. RI MA, farmer
- Census. 1920, at Warren Asylum, Asylum Road, Warren (1670:1B)
- Maxfield, Charles inmate M W 88 Wd b. RI, parents b. RI RI, occ. none
- m. at Bristol on 29 November 1857 SARAH E. HANDY (VR RI M 1857:440).
- Bristol, Nov 29, 1857
Charles A. Maxfield of Bristol, 23, white, farmer, b. Bristol to Joshua and Rebecca Maxfield, 1st;
Sarah E. Handy of Bristol, 35, white, b. Bristol to Luther and Christiana Handy, 1st;
by James D. Butler, minister
- b. at Bristol on 3 April 1821 (death record)
- d. at Warren, R.I., on 31 March 1893 (VR RI D 1893:777).
- 1893 Deaths: Town of Warren: Mar 31, Sarah E. Maxfield, 71-11-28 d. Warren, RI, female, white, married, b. Bristol, RI, American, to Luther Handy, cerebral atrophy
- AUGUSTUS8 MAXFIELD
- b. in Rhode Island abt 1835/6 (1850 Census)
- Census. 1870 at Bristol (1471:1:22B-23A)
- Maxfield, Gustavus 35 M W laborer personal estate $200 b. RI cannot write
Maxfield, Sarah 49 F W keeping house b. RI
NOTE: Sarah is sister-in-law, wife of Charles
- CATHERINE W.8 MAXFIELD
- b. at Rehoboth abt 1840/1 (1850 census; 1837/8 based on marriage record, but presence not indicated on 1840 census)
- m. (int. at Rehoboth on 13 May 1857 (VR Reh 463)) at Swansea, Mass., 17 May 1857 DEXTER J. HORTON (VR Ma 108:154:10)
- Dexter J. Horton, Rehoboth, 24, mason, b. Rehoboth to Joseph G. and Mercy Horton; 1st;
Catharine W. Maxfield, Rehoboth, 19, b. Rehoboth to Joshua and Rhoda Maxfield, 1st;
Josephus Horton, clergy
- b. at Rehoboth abt 1832/3 (marriage record) or abt 1836/7 (age at enlistment, VR Taun 1:212)
Information on this family is found in:
Other sources abbreviated above include:
- VR Ma
- Massachusetts Vital Records. Division of Vital Statistics, State House, Boston, Ma.; microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
- VR RI
- Rhode Island Department of Health, Providence, Rhode Island. Vital Records. microfilm, Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.
- VR Taun
- Vital Records of Taunton, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Return to Maxfield Genealogy
Go to Maxfield Outline Index
© 2004 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield