Descendants of Clement Maxfield
of Dorchester, Massachusetts
(John4-3, Samuel2, Clement1)
was born at Dorchester, Massachusetts, on 21 October 1727 (BRC 21:78), son of John Maxfield and his wife Ruth Blake.
Samuel Maxfield of Dorchester married HANNAH HAWES of Dorchester, at Dorchester, on 17 January 1765 (BRC 21:229).
Samuel Maxfield fought in the Revolutionary War from December 1776 until his death. His military record was as follows:
Dorchester. Private, Capt. Oliver Lyman's co., Col. Dike's regt.; muster roll for Dec., 1776-Feb. 1777; regiment raised to serve until March 1, 1777;
also, return of men raised to serve in the Continental Army from Capt. Clap's co., Col. Benjamin Gill's regt.; residence Dorchester; enlisted for town of Dorchester, joined Lieut. Baker's co., Col. Wesson's regt.; enlistment, during war (also given 3 years);
Samuel died in the service of his country, January, 1778.
also, list of men mustered by Nathaniel Barber, Muster Master for Suffolk Co., dated Boston, March 2, 1777; Capt. Wood's co., Col. Wesson's regt.;
also, Private, Capt. Nathan Dix's co., col. James Wesson's (9th)regt.; Continental Army pay accounts for service from Feb. 15, 1777, to Dec. 24, 1777; reported discharged Dec. 24, 1777;
also, same co. and regt.; return made up for the year 1777; mustered by Col. Barber, State Muster Master; reported died Jan, 1778. (MSSRW 10:368)
Hannah (Hawes) Maxfield married BENJAMIN BOYDEN at Walpole, Massachusetts, on 28 April 1785 (VR Walp, 150). The family evidently then lived in Walpole, as three of her daughters were married there.
Samuel Maxfield and his wife Hannah Hawes had the following children:
- HANNAH6 MAXFIELD
- b. at Dorchester on 29 November 1765 (BRC 21:168)
- bp. at Dorchester on 8 December 1765 (GR 68:229)
- m. at Dorchester on 25 January 1787 WILLIAM FOSTER (both of Dorchester) (BRC 21:238)
- SAMUEL6 MAXFIELD b. at Dorchester on 4 October 1767
- RUTH6 MAXFIELD
- b. at Dorchester on 20 April 1769 (BRC 21:174)
- bp. at Dorchester on 7 May 1769 (GR 68:232)
- m. at Walpole on 10 December 1799 DAVID WILLINGTON (VR Walp, 150)
- LYDIA6 MAXFIELD
- b. at Dorchester on 11 March 1771 (BRC 21:177)
- bp. at Dorchester on 24 March 1771 (GR 68:234)
- SUSANNA6 MAXFIELD
- b. at Dorchester on 17 September 1774 (BRC 21:182)
- bp. at Dorchester on 2 October 1774 (GR 68:236)
- m. at Walpole on 31 December 1795 WILLIAM KINGSBURY (VR Walp, 150)
- LUCY6 MAXFIELD
- b. at Dorchester on 10 October 1776 (BRC 21:185)
- bp. at Dorchester on 1 December 1776 (GR 68:238)
- m. (int. at Walpole on 20 April 1800 ) EBENEZER BAKER (VR Walp, 150)
- b. on 29 July 1775 (GR 43:286)
Sources abbreviated above include:
- BRC 21
- City of Boston, Report of the Records Commissioners. Vol. 21: Dorchester Births, Marriages and Deaths to the End of 1825. Boston: Rockwell and Churchill, 1891.
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of the Secretary, ed. Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the Revolutionary War. Boston: Wright L. Potter, 1902.
- VR Walp
- Vital Records of Walpole, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. Boston: NEHGS, 1902.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Return to Maxfield Genealogy
Go to Maxfield Outline Index
© 2001 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield