Descendants of Clement Maxfield
of Dorchester, Massachusetts
possibly a son of Samuel Maxfield and his first wife Mary Davenport, was born about 1689/90 based on his age at death. He died at Bristol, Rhode Island, on 6 March 1768, age 78 years (VR RI 6:1:147). His wife MARY died in Bristol on 10 March 1732 (VR RI 6:1:147). Joseph was a cooper, according to the probate records of his sons.
Joseph is placed here with the children of Samuel because he lived in Bristol, which was where Samuel lived in later life. Also, Joseph's age at death indicated that he could have been the last child of Samuel and his first wife Mary.
Joseph and Mary Maxfield had the following children:
- SARAH4 MAXFIELD
- b. at Bristol, on 24 January 1715 (VR RI 6:1:90)
- d. at Bristol on 30 June 1776, age 61, unmarried (VR RI 6:1:147)
- NATHANIEL4 MAXFIELD
- b. at Bristol on 2 October 1718 (VR RI 6:1:90)
- d. at Boston, Mass., on 17 November 1745 (VR RI 6:1:147)
- pro. at Bristol on 5 February 1753 (Bristol Wills 1:350-51) For full text of probate record see below
- JEREMIAH4 MAXFIELD
- b. at Bristol on 20 May 1721/2 (VR RI 6:1:90)
- d. at sea, in 1745 (VR RI 6:1:147)
- pro. at Bristol on 5 February 1753 (Bristol Wills 1:351)
- JOSPEH4 MAXFIELD, Jr.
- d. at Bristol on 22 October 1747 (VR RI 6:1:147)
Probate Record of Nathaniel Maxfield
To all persons to whom these presents shall come greeting.
Be it known and manifest that on the fifth day of February AD 1753, in council appeared Joseph Maxfield of said Bristol, cooper, and prayed he might have administration granted him on the estate of his son Nathaniel Maxfield late of sd. Bristol, mariner, deceased intestate and he having given bond and sureties as the law directs: Therefore administration is hereby granted to the said Joseph Maxfield fully authorizing and empowering him to act and do all things needful and necessary in the law for his effectively performing the power of an administrator to the said Nathaniel personal estate and he to render an account of his said trust as the law directs . . .
immediately followed by probate record for his brother Jeremiah, which was identical
- Bristol Wills
- Bristol, Rhode Island. Book of Wills.
- VR RI 6
- Arnold, James N. Vital Records of Rhode Island, 1636-1850. Vol. 6: Bristol County Providence: Narragansett Historical Publishing Co., 1894.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Return to Maxfield Genealogy
Go to Maxfield Outline Index
© 2001 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield