Some of the Descendants of
MARTIN AND MAGDALENA
of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
MICHAEL3 HARNISH (John Jacob2, Martin1), the son of John Jacob Harnish, was born probably at Conestoga Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, about 1748. He married BARBARA STEHMAN, probably some time around 1776.
Michael and Barbara were Mennonites. Michael Harnish was elected Overseer of the Poor for Conestoga Township in 1790. He was also listed on the militia, but, as a Mennonite, was likely never sent.
Michael and Barbara Hanish were farmers. They probably farmed land on the road between Conestoga Center and New Danville in Conestoga Township, where the Harnish graveyard is located. This was likely also the homestead of his father and grandfather.
Michael Harnish wrote his will in June 1805. In it he provided for the care of his widow and permitted her to occupy the wooden part of his dwelling, with his son Jacob to care for her. His home plantation he bequethed to his son Jacob and left farms to his sons Joseph, Abraham, and Rudolph with the balance to be shared by all his children, with sons Jacob and Abraham executors. His will was presented to Lancaster County probate court in December 1806. Michael died some time between these two dates, probably at Conestoga Township.
Widow Barbara Harnish wrote her will in 1824, and it was proved in court in 1825.
Michael and Barbara Harnish had the following children:
- MICHAEL4 HARNISH Jr.
- b. about 1777 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. in 1850 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- m (1). ANNA GREIDER
- d. in 1834 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- m (2). ELIZABETH KENDIG
- JACOB4 HARNISH
- b. on 1 September 1779 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. on 22 December 1861 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- m. at Lancaster, PA, on 29 September 1807 CATHARINE EYMAN (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- b. on 29 September 1788 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. on 26 August 1854 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- ABRAHAM4 HARNISH b. at Conestoga Township on 2 February 1784
- BARBARA4 HARNISH
- b. on 26 February 1786 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. on 16 August 1844 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- m. on 26 March 1805 SAMUEL MEYER (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- b. on 15 May 1780 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. on 21 April 1851 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- JOSEPH4 HARNISH
- b. on 23 April 1788 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. on 26 April 1821 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- m. on 14 April 1812 PRUDENCE GOOD (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- b. on 22 April 1794 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. on 2 October 1873 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- RUDOLPH4 HARNISH
- b. on 23 October 1812 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
- d. in 1841 (MRJ 1/1962:4)
Information on this family is found in the following:
- Francis, J. G. The Harnish Friendschaft, 1729-1926. Gettysburg, Pa.: Privately published, 1955. pp. 32
- Descendants of C. Fisher. p. 456
- Landis, Ira D., "Preacher Samuel Myer," Mennonite Research Journal Jan., 1962, p. 4.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to References
Go to Name List Index
© 2004 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield