Some of the Descendants of
of Charlestown, Massachuetts
Deacon SAMUEL5 BLANCHARD, Junior (Thomas4, John3, Nathaniel2, Thomas1), was born at Weymouth, Massachusetts, on 21 February 1732 (VR Wey 1:55), a child of Thomas Blanchard and his wife Sarah Vinson. He was baptized at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 27 February 1732 (His Wey 100).
Samuel Blanchard married DOROTHY5 THAYER (David4, Cornelius3, Richard2-1) at Weymouth on 29 March 1753 (VR Wey 2:36). Dorothy was born at Braintree on 14 January 1733 (VR Brt 779), a child of David Thayer and his wife Dorothy Blanchard.
In June, 1775, the Town Meeting at Weymouth elected Samuel to a committee to go out of town to recruit men for Weymouth's quota for the Continental Army. Samuel Blanchard personally fought in the Revolutionary War for two days (MSSRW 2:158):
Blancher, Samuel, Weymouth; Private, Capt. Thomas Nash's co., Col. Solomon Lovell's regt.; pay roll for 2 days service subsequent to March 10, 1776.
Samuel Blanchard was a Deacon of South Parish Church. In 1788 he was one of three chosen "to be choristers with the liberty of choosing as many more as the singers think proper" (His Wey 104).
The Samuel Blanchard family lived about one mile south of where the South Weymouth railroad station was later built (His Wey 104). The 1790 Census reported the Samuel Blanchard family of Weymouth as follows (Census 1790 Ma):
|Saml. Blanchard, Jr.
Dorothy (Thayer) Blanchard died at Weymouth on 18 February 1798 (VR Wey 2:248) (Town Record; the Grave marker reads 18 January, age 65). She was buried at Lakeview Cemetery, South Weymouth.
Deacon Samuel Blanchard Junior and widow ESTHER Holbrook of Braintree published their intentions to marry at Weymouth on 7 April 1802 (VR Wey 2:34). They were married at Braintree on 26 April 1802 (Sprague 723). Esther was born about 1758/59 based on her age at death.
Samuel Blanchard wrote his will at Weymouth on 12 December 1810 (His Wey 104). He mentioned his wife Esther, his pew in the South Meeting House; his four daughters, Anna Loud, Olive Holbrook, Dolly Torrey and Tirzah Shaw, his son Thomas, and his ten grandchildren which his daughter Lydia Joy had by her former husband Nathaniel Blanchard. They were Nathan, Mary, Nathaniel, Lydia, Thomas Jr., Beulah, Richard, Hannah, Micah and John Blanchard. To his grandson Samuel Blanchard he gave his homestead. (NCP 2131 in HWM 104). He died at Weymouth on 5 March 1812 (VR Wey 2:248), age 80 years. He was buried at Lakeview Cemetery, South Weymouth. His will was proved at Norfolk County on 7 April 1812 (His Wey 104).
Samuel Blanchard's widow Esther died at Weymouth on 21 May 1822 (VR Wey 2:246) (22 May, age 63--Town Record; 21 May--South Parish; 21 May--Grave). She also was buried at Lakeview Cemetery, South Weymouth.
Samuel Blanchard and his first wife Dorothy Thayer had the following children:
- THOMAS6 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 30 October 1754 (VR Wey 1:56)
- bp. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 11 May 1755 (His Wey 110)
- d. at Weymouth on 29 December 1831 (29 December, age 77--Town; 28 December–South Parish Church; 29 December, age 77 yrs, 2 mo–Grave) (VR Wey 2:248)
- m. (m. int. at Braintree on 9 November 1776 (VR Brt 880); m. int. at Weymouth on 10 November 1776 (VR Wey 2:36)) RUTH WHITE of Braintree
- b. abt 1757/58 (based on age at death)
- probably daughter of Capt. John and Ruth White (His Wey)
- d. at Weymouth on 1 July 1840, age 82 (VR Wey 2:247)
- ANNA6 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 28 June 1760
- m. ELIPHALET4 LOUD (Jacob3, Francis2-1)
- OLIVE6 BLANCHARD
- bp. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, in November 1761 (VR Wey 1:55)
- m. at Weymouth on 10 January 1782 WILLIAM HOLBROOK (VR Wey 2:93)
- bp. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 5 March 1758 (VR Wey 1:135)
- Child of William Holbrook
- DOROTHY6 BLANCHARD "Dolly"
- b. abt 1763
- d. at Weymouth on 2 July 1843 (widow of Samuel, age 80--Town; age 79–Grave) (VR Wey 2:352)
- m. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 2 June 1785 Dea. SAMUEL TORREY of Weymouth (VR Wey 2:32)
- b. at Weymouth, on 13 February 1761 (VR Wey 1:314)
- Child of David and Elizabeth Torrey
- d. at Weymouth on 22 December 1819 (age 59--Town; in 59th yr–Grave) (VR Wey 2:354)
- LYDIA6 BLANCHARD
- b. on 5 October 1764 (or 2 October 1765 based on age at death) (VR Wey 2:292)
- d. at Weymouth on 11 May 1848, liver complaint, age 83-7-6 (duplicate: 82-7-9; age 82–Grave) (VR Wey 2:292)
- m (1). at Weymouth on 4 December 1788 NATHANIEL6 BLANCHARD (Daniel5, John4-3, Nathaniel2, Thomas1) (VR Wey 2:33,34)
- b. at Weymouth on 23 March 1766 (VR Wey 1:51)
- Child of Daniel Blanchard and Mary Pratt
- bp. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 11 May 1766 (His Wey 102)
- d. at Weymouth on 3 March 1807, age 41 (VR Wey 2:247)
- m (2; his 2d). at First Parish Church, Weymouth, on 5 July 1810 Lt. DAVID JOY (VR Wey 2:36)
- b. abt 1738/39 (based on age at death)
- d. at Weymouth on 12 September 1820, age 81 (VR Wey 2:292)
- m (his 1st). at South Parish Church, Weymouth on 12 January 1769 widow Margaret (--) White (VR Wey 2:106)
- b. abt 1740/41 (based on age at death)
- d. at Weymouth on 15 September 1803, age 62 (VR Wey 2:292)
- RICHARD6 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 19 July 1768 (VR Wey 1:52)
- d. at Weymouth on 30 October 1802, in an accident; unmarried (age 30 (Town Record); age 35 (Lakeview Cemetery)--His Wey 104) (VR Wey 2:247)
- TIRZAH6 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 10 December 1773 (VR Wey 1:53)
- bp. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 2 May 1774 (Record reads 1773[?]) (His Wey 104)
- d. at Weymouth on 3 January 1836 (age 63--Town+Grave; age 64--South Parish) (VR Wey 2:338)
- m. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 16 April 1797 DAVID SHAW of Weymouth (VR Wey 2:35)
- bp. at South Parish Church, Weymouth, on 26 May 1771 (VR Wey 1:268)
- Child of Abram Shaw
- d. at Weymouth on 8 February 1818, age 47 (VR Wey 2:335)
Information on this family can be found in the following source:
- Chamberlain, George Walter. History of Weymouth, Massachusetts. Part 2 (vols. 3 and 4). Weymouth, Ma.: Weymouth Historical Society,1923. Pp. 100,104.
- Thayer, Bezaleel. Memorial of the Thayer Name, from the Massachusetts Colony of Weymouth and Braintree, Embracing Geneological and Biographical Sketches of Richard and Thomas Thayer and Their Descendants from 1636 to 1874. Oswego, NY: R. J. Oliphant, 1874. p. 142.
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to References
Go to Name List Index
© 2000 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield