Some of the Descendants of
of Charlestown, Massachuetts
NATHANIEL2 BLANCHARD (Thomas1) was born at England about 1636 (TAG 65:95; Sprague 703R; His Wey 98), a child of Thomas Blanchard and his first wife. Nathaniel came to America in 1639 with his father, brothers, step-mother and step-brother.
Nathaniel Blanchard and SUSANNAH2 BATES (Edward1 ) were joined in marriage by "Capt. Huburtt, Commr.," at Charlestown, Massachusetts, on 16 December 1658 (VR Cha 1:38). Susannah was baptized at Aston Clinton, co. Buckingham, England, on 22 January 1633/34, (TAG 65:95), a child of Edward Bates and his wife Susanna Putnam. She had come to America with her parents, some time between 1637 and 1639. Within a year of their marriage they had moved to Weymouth, where they lived the rest of his life.
Nathaniel Blanchard died at Weymouth on 27 August 1676 (TAG 65:95; Sprague 703R; His Wey 98).
Widow Susannah (Bates) Blanchard married widower Deacon THOMAS BASS of Braintree, at Braintree on 30 November 1680 (VR Brt 719), by Capt. Torrey.
Deacon Bass' first wife, Sarah, died at Braintree on 24 December 1678 (VR Brt 657).
Deacon Thomas Bass died at Weymouth on 8 January 1719/20 (VR Wey 2:232).
Nathaniel and Susannah (Bates) Blanchard had the following children:
Thomas and Sarah Bass had the following child:
- JOHN3 BLANCHARD b. on 27 March 1660
- MARY3 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 1 December 1662 (VR Wey 1:55)
- m. bef 1686 THOMAS FAXON the Third of Braintree (birth of child, Richard, recorded at Braintree 4 September 1686--VR Brt 663) (Savage 1:196; Sprague 703R; His Wey 98–sources give names only)
- d. in 1690 (in war with France. Died of smallpox before military expedition to Canada departed; buried at Weymouth) (VR Brt 658)
- NATHANIEL3 BLANCHARD b. at Weymouth on 25 September 1665
- EDWARD3 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 7 June 1668 (VR Wey 1:54)
- d. probably young
- SUSANNA3 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 12 August 1671 (Savage 1:196)
- MERCY3 BLANCHARD
- b. at Weymouth on 14 April 1674 (VR Wey 1:55)
- d. at Braintree on 27 October 1724 (VR Brt 726)
- m. on 26 April 1703 THOMAS WELLS of Braintree (NEHGR 140:313)
- b. at Boston on 30 June 1677 (NEHGR 140:313)
- Child of John and Mary Wells
- d. on 18 October 1722 (NEHGR 140:313)
- MEHETABEL BASS
- d. at Braintree on 24 January 1678/79 (VR Brt 657)
Information on this family can be found in the following sources:
- Bates, Samuel A. Genealogy of the Descendants of Edward Bates of Weymouth, Massachusetts. South Braintree, Mass.: Frank A. Bates, ca. 1915. Pp. 8,9,19
- Bates Chronicle. Joppa, Md.: Maryland Descendants of Edward Bates. vol. 4, no. 2 (Win. 1984), p. 4.
- Chamberlain, George Walter. History of Weymouth, Massachusetts. Part 2 (vols. 3 and 4). Weymouth, Ma.: Weymouth Historical Society,1923. Pp. 97-98.
- Gray, Ruth, "Sarah, Mother of Jeremiah Bumstead," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 140:313.
- Nicholson, Frederick J., "The English Origin of Macuth (or Matthew) Pratt and Edward Bates of Weymouth, Mass.," The American Genealogist vol. 65 (1990), pp. 33-43, 85-96; p. 95.
- Savage, James. Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England. Boston, 1860. vol. 1 pp. 138,196.
- Sprague, Waldo Chamberlain, ed. Genealogies of the Families of Braintree, Massachusetts, 1640-1850. Including the Modern Towns of Randolph and Holbrook and the City of Quincy. microfilm, Boston: NEHGS, in cooperation with Quincy Historical Society, 1983. box 1, cards 703R
Return to "Chuck Maxfield's Genealogy Page"
Go to References
Go to Name List Index
© 2004 by Charles A. Maxfield
Material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only.
For any other use, contact the proprietor of this website
Charles A. Maxfield